Vivo V5 Plus has dual front cameras whose bokeh in selfies is addictive and distinctive
Vivo nails both the key feature and the pricing in their just-launched Vivo V5 Plus, the first dual front camera phone that offers a bokeh effect (beautiful blurred background) for selfies. Previously, only dual rear cameras could do that. At P19,990, the Vivo V5 Plus has two front cameras (20MP Sony IMX376 + 8MP for depth) with soft LED light, a gorgeous 5.5-inch full HD display (with Gorilla Glass 5 protection), a capable 16MP rear camera, 4GB RAM, 64GB storage, a fast charging 3,160 mAh battery, Hi Fi audio chipset (for music lovers), and a fast fingerprint sensor on the physical home button. We did a quick hands on at the launch last January 21 at the SM Mall of Asia Atrium. You want to see our sample selfies below.
Those who pre-order the Vivo V5 Plus get freebies: Health Sports Bracelet, Headphones, and Little V Speaker.
Vivo V5 Plus Full Specs
|Display||5.5 Inch FHD IPS In Cell 1920 x 1080 resolution w/ 2.5D curved glass and Gorilla Glass 5 protection at 401 ppi|
|CPU||2.0 GHz 64 Bit Snapdragon 625 octa core processor|
|Rear Camera||16 MP f/2.0 w/ AF and LED flash|
|Selfie Cameras||20 MP f/2.0 Sony IMX376 + 8 MP w/ softlight flash|
|Battery||3,160 mAh w/ fast charging|
|OS||Android 6.0 Marshmallow OS w/ FunTouch OS 3.0|
|Connectivity||WiFi 802.11 ac, 3G, LTE, Bluetooth 4.0, GPS, A GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou, dual nano SIM|
|Sensors||Accelerometer, light, proximity, e-compass, gyrocope|
|Others||Fingerprint scanner, AK4376 HiFi DAC|
|Dimensions||153.8 x 75.5 x 7.6 mm|
Sample Selfie Shots
A quick tour around the Vivo V5 Plus
Here are our first thoughts
- Vivo has simplified their camera app UI, which is a big help since no one wants confusing menus.
- The bokeh in selfies is, like we said in the title, is addictive and distinctive. Right now, no other smartphone offers such a feature. Now, while you can use an image editing app to add bokeh to a selfie taken with a non-V5 Plus phone, nothing beats the ease with which you can achieve such with just a tap on the V5 Plus.
- Though we haven’t tried the sound quality (speaker and through earphones) that the AK4376 hi Fi audio system offers, we’re glad it’s thrown in. Not a lot of phones have something for both selfie lovers and music lovers.
- The free gel case that comes in the box adds both style and grip, which is great since you don’t want to drop the phone while taking a selfie.
- While the pre-order freebies are nice (Health Sports Bracelet, Headphones, and Little V Speaker), we wish a selfie stick was thrown in as well.
- While the non-expandable 64GB storage seems hefty, over time, it will get filled up – what with all those pictures and videos you’ll take with the V5 Plus. We wish the dual nano SIM tray was at least a hybrids one – offering either two nano SIMs or one SIM and one microSD slot.
- The P20k price tag of the V5 Plus puts it squarely against other P20k-ish phones: the P24k Huawei P9, P20k ASUS ZenFone 3 5.5, P20k OPP F1 Plus, and P24k Samsung Galaxy A7 (2017). The V5 Plus’s edge, however, is the dual camera bokeh plus front LED soft-flash combo.
Performances from Pinoy Boyband Superstar’s Tony Labrusca and James Ryan Cesena enlivened the MOA launch of the first dual front camera phone with bokeh capability, the Vivo V5 Plus. #perfectselfie_ph #perfectduo #vivov5plus #swirlingovercoffee #tonylabrusca. #jamesryancesena
A photo posted by Irwin Allen Rivera (@swirlingovercoffee) on
And that’s it for our launch coverage and quick hands on of the Vivo V5 Plus. We’ll get back to you with a full review when we secure a review unit.