Canon introduces an exciting addition to its best-selling EOS R range – the Canon EOS RP
Not long after the release of the ground-breaking Canon EOS R, the global imaging leader has launched the second addition to its new range of full-frame interchangeable-lens mirrorless cameras, the Canon EOS RP. Canon’s newest full-frame is its most compact and lightest model yet in the EOS full-frame series but delivers a performance that punches above its weight. The EOS RP features the new RF lens mount, Canon’s proprietary DIGIC 8 image processor with Dual Pixel CMOS AF technology, and an enhanced ergonomics for unparalleled optical excellence with easy operability.
“The addition of the EOS RP to Canon’s growing range of EOS full-frame system is not only a testament to the brand’s commitment of continuously pushing forward the frontiers of photography but is also in line with our goal of further extending access to photography for aspiring photographers. Smaller, lighter, and more affordable, the EOS RP will surely delight photography professionals and enthusiasts alike,” said Benny Yu, Canon Marketing (Philippines), Inc. (CMPI) Head of Consumer Imaging and Information division.
Cementing the EOS Legacy
Powered by the EOS R system technology, the EOS RP is equipped with the RF lens mount that sports a short flange focal distance of 20mm which is meant to open possibilities in lens design and innovation. Using a mount adapter, existing EOS users would be able to utilize their collection of EF and EF-S lenses with the new EOS RP. It embodies the familiar, reliable features of Canon’s EOS performance and excellent ergonomics, delivering an unparalleled image quality that caters to both advanced photographers and those venturing into full-frame cameras. Its Feature Assistant also allows easy navigation helping users maximize each feature to produce better images.
Exceptional Image Quality and Details
Driven by Canon’s advanced DIGIC 8 image processor and with Auto Lighting Optimizer feature that balances the brightest and darkest points for a well exposed image, the EOS RP is able to deliver superb image quality in any situation. It is equipped with a 26.2-megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor and a native ISO range of 100-40,000 that can be expanded to an ISO range of 50-102,400 for vivid, low-noise images with crisp details even in low light situations.
The Dual Sensing IS of the EOS RP detects camera shaking for effective image stabilization that allows users to capture images at a shutter speed of up to five stops slower, especially useful in low-light situations. It also has an in-camera Digital Lens Optimizer that corrects aberrations, diffraction, and optical distortions as you shoot, producing excellent image quality right out of the camera.
Clever Engineering for a Sharp Focus
With Dual Pixel CMOS AF that provides a smooth and incredibly fast autofocus speed of up to 0.05 seconds, users can capture images of fleeting moments and create unique compositions without worrying about the focus using the 4,779 selectable AF positions within the expanded AF area. Its minimum AF luminance of EV-5 further provides accurate focus even in poorly lit conditions while the Eye Detection AF which even works in Servo AF mode detects and ensures that the subject’s eye is always in focus even when moving and at wide open aperture.
The Focus Bracketing feature of the EOS RP comes in handy for users looking to create images with a large depth of field where everything in the image is in focus. It automatically shoots a series of photos based on predetermined settings such as number of shots, focusing range, and first focus point which can then be stitched together to form the final image using the Digital Photo Professional software.
When in situations which require minimum disturbance, the camera’s Silent Mode enables users to shoot in stealth, without the sound of a shutter release.
Majestic Movie Capabilities
The EOS RP shoots in Ultra High Definition 4K at 24p/25p video footage. Coupled with the Dual Pixel CMOS AF, this allows users to focus accurately and shoot smoothly. With Touch & Drag AF, users can even create pull-focus effects and easily transition focus by simply moving a finger from one to another part of the LCD screen. Combination IS also provides stable footages even without a tripod.
When recording a video with the RF lens, users can adjust the AV setting to make 1/8-stop aperture adjustments for a more precise control over exposure to match the lighting conditions of the shoot. When shooting manually, the MF Peaking function ensures accurate focusing by highlighting areas in focus.
Enhanced Ergonomics for Ease of Handling
Weighing only 485grams and built significantly smaller, the EOS RP is easier to handle especially for new users of full-frame cameras, while users with larger hands may avail an optional Extension Grip (EG-E1) to ensure firmer handling.
Armed with a customizable electronic viewfinder (EVF) that provides 100% coverage, the EOS RP displays accurate details through its 2.36million dots OLED display which is especially useful when working under bright glaring. Its Vari-angle LCD screen offers opportunities to shoot from unusual angles and with unique framing.
Transferring images from the EOS RP to either a smart device or computer is a breeze via Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) technology. Users can perform any network-related functions by utilizing the Canon Camera Connect app designed for mobile devices. When paired, the automatic data transfer function can simultaneously send photos to a smartphone while the user is still taking photos. This helps with photos management without having to manually transfer images after shooting.
Apart from charging the batteries with the included external charger, the EOS RP can be charged directly using the optional USB Power Adapter PD-E1 and in a speedy manner through its Hi-Speed (USB 2.0/ Type C) Interface.
A Snapshot of the Future
The production of 140 million lenses marks a significant milestone for Canon and serves to underscore Canon’s dedication to its customers. The RF lenses which feature an additional control ring are engineered to provide the best possible quality in images and videos.
Canon understands the importance of a good ecosystem for camera users and is pleased to share the roadmap of six new RF lenses in 2019. New optical designs for these lenses are made possible by the large diameter mount and short back focus of the RF mount system.
- RF15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM. The ultra-wide zoom lens features a large f/2.8 widest aperture. The RF15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM provides an extreme wide-angle view in close, tight situations and is suitable for landscape shooting. The focal length of 15mm to 35mm is versatile for capturing everyday moments to special occasions. Paired with the Image Stabilizer, the RF15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM performs exceptionally well in low-light conditions.
- RF24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM. The RF24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM is an L-series standard zoom lens compact enough while maintaining a large f/2.8 widest aperture. The RF24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM is expected to be an all-rounder for various shooting situations and genres such as landscape, portraits, and weddings. Its performance truly shines during low-light conditions when the shot is wide open.
- RF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM. The popular telephoto zoom lens now comes with a significantly smaller body. Equipped with the maximum aperture of f/2.8 and Image Stabilization, the RF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM provides an unprecedented shooting experience for sports, wedding, wildlife, and even landscape.
- RF85mm f/1.2L USM. The RF85mm f/1.2L USM is an L-series medium telephoto prime lens featuring stunning edge-to-edge resolution even at the maximum aperture of f/1.2 which expands shooting possibilities.
- RF85mm f/1.2L USM DS. While inheriting the high overall performance and attractive specs of the RF85mm f/1.2L USM, the RF85mm f/1.2L USM DS is Canon’s first lens to feature the Defocus Smoothing (DS) effect made possible by new coating technology that produces softer and smoother bokeh that was once considered impossible with conventional optics.
- RF24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS USM. The RF24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS USM is a compact, lightweight, and highly versatile zoom lens with a wide 24mm to a high 240mm (10x zoom) perfect for both stills and video shooting.
To know more about the Canon EOS RP and the upcoming RF lenses, visit https://ph.canon.