OPPO F1s Unboxing and First Thoughts [Video]
With a 16MP front and 13MP rear cameras, the P12,990 OPPO F1s wants to be “the” selfie camera ; and it might just succeed. Prior to the full review – where you’ll see tons of sample pictures – here’s our unboxing and first thoughts.
OPPO F1s Full Specs
- 5.5-inch HD IPS 1280 x 720 resolution w/ 2.5D curved glass at 267 ppi
- Gorilla Glass 4 protection
- 1.5 GHz 64 Bit MT6750 Octa-Core processor
- Mali T860 | 3GB RAM
- 32GB internal storage, up to 128GB via micro SD card
- Rear Camera: 13 MP f/2.2 w/ AF and LED flash
- Selfie Camera: 16 MP f/2.0
- 3075 mAh battery | Fingerprint sensor
- Android 5.1 Lollipop w/ Color OS 3.0
- WiFi, 3G, LTE, Bluetooth 4.0, GPS, A GPS, GLONASS, dual SIM
- Accelerometer, light, proximity, orientation, sound, magnetic
- Comes in Grey, Gold, Rose Gold
- Php 12,990
- Free gel case, a good one, and it’s a snug fit. As you can see in the video (below), it really fits the phone well. Better than whatever you may get for cheap at the nearest tiangge.
- Free installed screen protector, which is awesome, despite the F1s’ already having Gorilla Glass 4 protection. This probably means if you don’t want the screen protector, you can peel it off and still have a tough display underneath.
- SIM tray can house two Nano SIMs AND a micro SD card. All three. Unlike hybrid set ups, which allow either two SIMs or one SIM and one micro SD card, the OPPO F1s’s tray can hold all three all at the same time.
- Enrolling one’s fingerprint/s and unlocking the phone via enrolled fingerprint is very fast.
The combo of HD display plus 3,025mAh battery should mean 7 hours of use, at least.
Some possible set backs:
- There is neither Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) nor laser auto-focus on the rear camera. But then other phones, like the getting-ahead-in-years Huawei Honor 6 Plus, has neither OIS nor laser AF, but shoots great photos.
- Front camera has no LED flash but has onscreen flash, which is also how other phones, like the LG G5 add light to selfie subjects. Also, phones with front LED flash (such as the Cherry Mobile Flash Selfie and Flash Plus 2) are not necessarily successful at producing good selfies.
- No fast charging. Some budget phones, like the P6k Flash Plus 2, have fast charging (though its front camera is mediocre).
- No Type C charging port, which is actually fine by us, since your current Android chargers, power banks, and USB OTG flash drives should work on the OPPO F1s. Type C chargers and USB OTG flash drives are not yet mainstream.
And that’s it for our unboxing and quick look at the OPPO F1s. We’ll post our full review – with lots of pictures – soon.
Liked this post? Follow SwirlingOverCoffee on Facebook.
Irwin Allen Rivera
Irwin Allen Rivera loves his wife's cooking so much he's now twice the man he used to be. His English essay won a Don Carlos Palanca Memorial Award for Literature in 2012. His philosophical-horror story appeared in Philippine Speculative Fiction 8 (2013). He was managing editor and lead writer of Sites and Symbols 2 (2005), a coffee-table book about buildings in UP Diliman - his alma mater (BA Philosophy; MA Creative Writing continuing). He worked at the UP Diliman Information Office before shifting to web content writing. His sudden fiction, "Notwithstanding Pigs," initially a Friendster testimonial, appeared in Philippines Graphic (2006) and in Very Short Stories for Harried Readers (2007). He used to write for www.technoodling.net.