Enjoy Free WiFi along EDSA through DICT and Globe’s EDSA WiFi Project
The EDSA WiFi Project, a partnership between Globe and the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT), aims to provide high-speed internet connectivity throughout the 24-kilometer stretch of EDSA. Users are given free minutes daily of high-speed internet access through GoWiFi, a Globe service available at major malls and familiar to most PH users.
To use the service, users can connect to the @GoWiFi network, wait for the GoWiFi portal to pop up (or one may launch a browser) and then click the “GO” button. On GoWiFi, users can browse social media, check emails, watch videos, and download files with speeds of up to 100Mbps. Aside from being a secure access point, GoWiFi is available to users regardless of network provider, and is compatible with any WiFi-enabled device.
Launched June 12, 2017, the project is in line with President Rodrigo Roa Duterte’s first State of the Nation Address (SONA) where it was stated that the government will provide high internet speed and free Wi-Fi services in selected public areas nationwide. DICT aims to reach over 13,000 public places across 145 cities and 1,489 municipalities nationwide.
After the Free Minutes are up…
When the free minutes are up, users can avail of a GoWiFi promo to continue their browsing by connecting to @GoWiFi_Auto. For P15, users can enjoy 500MB worth of data allocation for one day, while P50 lets customers enjoy 1.5GB worth of data allocation for three days. One could also pay P99 for 1.5GB data allocation for 30 days. New GoWiFi users who are Globe, TM, or Smart can also avail of the Free Trial promo that will give them access to GoWiFi Auto for 3 days. This trial is valid until August 31, 2017.
Customers can avail of this service and pay via prepaid load, charged to postpaid bill, credit card, or via Request-a-Fi – a feature that allows users to request for a GoWiFi package from their Globe or TM friends.
GoWiFi, Globes public WiFi service
GoWiFi, Globe Telecom’s public WiFi service, now has 1,000 locations and 10,000 access points in the country, providing customers with access to hotspots in high-traffic locations. The service is available in
- Major public transport hubs and tourist spots (MRT-3, select stations of the LRT system, airports in Metro Manila, Cebu, and Davao; and in Boracay and Lio, El Nido, Palawan).
- Hospitals, Local Government Units, and Schools (St. Luke’s Medical Center, The Medical City, Davao Doctors Hospital, Cardinal Santos Hospital, and Philippine General Hospital; local government units in Makati, Quezon City, Valenzuela, Las Piñas, Mandaluyong, Marikina, Caloocan, and Batangas; and some schools and universities such as Far Eastern University and Bulacan State University).
- Major Malls, Convenience Stores, Restaurants, and Coffee Shops (including Ayala Malls, Megaworld Lifestyle Malls, Robinsons Malls, Gaisano Malls; 7-Eleven, Ministop, Family Mart, and AlfaMart; coffee chains like Starbucks, The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, Seattle’s Best Coffee, and UCC; and restaurants like KFC, Burger King, Kenny Rogers Roasters, and Wendy’s).
For more information on GoWiFi, visit the website at http://www.globe.com.ph/gowifi.
- Smart’s FREE WiFi along EDSA to benefit MRT daily commuters and passengers of vehicles along EDSA
- DICT Leads Inauguration of Free Public Wi-Fi along EDSA