Selfie was named Oxford Dictionaries’ word of the year in 2013, yet the phenomenon of taking a photo of oneself and uploading it to a social media website still continues to gain momentum. In fact, just last March, TIME Magazine named the Philippines’ financial center, Makati City, the selfie capital of the world.
With the fast paced lives we lead, taking selfies to satisfy one’s need to hold on to and document a present moment is not surprising. In this sense, selfies may be viewed as more than just what some refer to as narcissistic photos or even a digital cry for attention – they become stories that celebrate confidence everyday. They celebrate an authentic representation of beauty amid the ubiquitous manipulated images of perfection. Yassi Pressman, actress and MTV VJ says, “Taking selfies does promote self-confidence in a way, because a lot of people I know who weren’t vocal before and who were always shy, take a lot of selfies now, and they have upped their self esteem by that. They are now more confident. I think it’s because you get to take your own photo and see which angle is your best and you share that with the world.”
Selfies celebrate you! This back-to-school season, tell the story of the new chapter in your life by sharing beautiful selfies that will show off your confidence. Here are a few ideas:
Remind yourself of your goals and aspirations and take a selfie dressed in your dream job’s getup. If you are studying to be a doctor, put on a doctor’s lab coat and snap away!
- Ramp, print, and commercial model, Mark McMahon also suggests posting “selfie expressions of each day, closer to when school starts so people can see how you feel about going back to school through your facial expressions. It will make it so funny for people to see and you can have a little bit of fun by experimenting on so many different emotions.”
- Already picked out what to wear on your first few days of school? Take a selfie showing your OOTD and be your campus’ daily source for outfit inspiration!
- After meeting your new classmates, show your excitement about the beginning of your friendship by taking a group selfie and encourage meaningful conversation about each other!
If you have a bigger phone, taking and viewing your selfies is much easier. With the Nokia Lumia 1520, its 6-inch, 1080p full HD screen and latest imaging innovations, Nokia Storyteller and Nokia Camera, your photos become interesting stories that you can share with friends and family.
Download quality apps on the Windows Phone Apps+Game Store to help you take and post the best selfies. Some of the top free apps you should check out include:
- Nokia Glam Me
which helps you take selfies, automatically enhanced and ready to share with friends. Its Auto Selfie feature is great when you want a high-quality selfie using the main camera, as it automatically recognizes when your face is in shot and takes the photo for you. Nokia Glam Me would be perfect to try on the new Nokia Lumia 630 Dual SIM, which delivers an outstanding imaging experience with its autofocus 5MP camera powered by the Windows Phone 8.1 operating system.
- Take selfies that are out of this world with the Spaceselfie app. Snap your picture, choose your favorite space background and apply different filters to add a cinematic feel.
- With over 200 million users globally, Camera360 is deemed the most popular camera app out there. It has a unique and creative compass, with six scenes to choose different effects to help you record every wonderful moment in your life. It also has a powerful editing page wherein you can endow your photo with plenty of imagination.
Luigi D’Avola, MYX VJ Hunt 2014 winner says, “I think taking selfies promotes self-confidence because for me, it takes a lot of guts to do that. You are showcasing yourself for all the world to see. That must mean you are brave enough and confident enough to do so.” It is high time that we shift our perspective on selfie to a more positive one – embrace selfie confidence! Take a selfie, post it with the hashtag, #SelfieConfidence, and celebrate your story.