Converge ICT Solutions Inc. (PSE: CNVRG) has officially joined the world’s largest corporate social responsibility initiative, paving the way for it to align its sustainability strategy to universally-recognized and world-class standards.
“Today, Converge is pleased to announce that we have joined the United Nations Global Compact initiative — a voluntary leadership platform for the development, implementation and disclosure of responsible business practices,” said Dennis Anthony Uy, CEO and Co-Founder of Converge.
“With this announcement, Converge is proud to join thousands of other companies globally committed to taking responsible business action to create the world we all want,” said Benjamin B. Azada, Converge Chief Strategy Officer.
The UN Global Compact is a call to companies everywhere to align their operations and strategies with ten universally accepted principles in the areas of human rights, labor, environment and anti-corruption, and to take action in support of UN goals and issues embodied in the Sustainable Development Goals.
Launched in 2000, the UN Global Compact is the largest corporate sustainability initiative in the world, with more than 15,000 companies and 3,800 non-business signatories based in over 160 countries, and more than 69 Local Networks.
The UN Global Compact’s Ten Principles across the four areas are :
- Businesses should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights; and
- Make sure that they are not complicit in human rights abuses.
- Businesses should uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining;
- The elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labor;
- The effective abolition of child labor; and
- The elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation.
- Businesses should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges;
- Undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility; and
- Encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.
- Businesses should work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery
Moving forward, Converge’s corporate social responsibility strategy will adhere to these principles and incorporate them into its strategies and day-to-day operations.
The underlying notion of the UN Global Compact is that corporate sustainability starts with a company’s value system and a principles-based approach to doing business. It endeavors to integrate universal principles into the company’s identity, making it a globally-responsible institution.
Fulfilling the UN Global Compact is seen not just to deliver on broader socio-economic developments, but also to improve the company’s business performance.