Takeda Digital Health Innovation Startup Pitching Competition for Solutions in Oncology Gets 21 Applications
The Takeda Digital Healthcare Innovation Challenge is a tech startup pitching competition and search for digital solutions (which can include mobile apps, websites, software, hardware) in the area of Oncology. These digital solutions should help Takeda provide better service and medical information to cancer patients and their families, and/ or medical providers. The search, which launched on May 10 and ended on June 20, received 21 applications out of which 10 will advance to the Pitching Event in Manila on August 6, 2016. The winner gets $10,000 and will work with Takeda PH’s incubator of choice. There are no revenue sharing conditions as Takeda does not aim to make money out of the endeavor.
Takeda is a research-based pharmaceutical company founded in 1871, headquartered in Osaka (Japan), follows a patient-centric approach in pursuing innovation in medicine, and has 32,000 employees globally.
The Takeda Digital Healthcare Innovation Challenge, presented in cooperation with techtalks.ph, is aimed at tech startups who have matured, workable and usable digital solutions that can help Takeda provide better health care in the long term. The competition was an open-call for developers, programmers, incubators and mentors who have the right people that can represent and pitch the best solution that Takeda can help build, mentor and incubate.
Takeda sees four challenges that the Digital Healtch Innovation Challenge can address:
- How can they raise the awareness of patients pre-diagnosis and post-diagnosis of diseases while leveraging social and digital technologies? Type of diseases includes: Relapsed/refractory (R/R) Hodgkin lymphoma (HL), Systemic anaplastic large-cell lymphoma (sALCL), Multiple myeloma, and Osteosarcoma.
- How can they improve the level of education among doctors, nurses and payers regarding the diagnosis and treatment of patients while leveraging social and digital technologies?
- How can they connect patients to the right treatment, facilities, and resources?
- How can they ensure a proper care coordination between patients, their doctors and the multiple centers that treat them?
The Criteria for judging the winning pitch include:
- Impact on Oncology (30%)
- Innovation (10%)
- Pilot Potential (20%)
- Team Competencies (20%)
- Viability (20%)
Gabriel Georgy, President and General Manager, Takeda Healthcare Philippines.
The judges include:
- Gabriel Georgy – President & General Manager, Takeda Healthcare Philippines, Inc.
- Craig A. DeLarge – Head of Takeda Digital Accelerator for Emerging Markets, Takeda Pharmaceuticals International
- Jay Fajardo – Co-founder/CEO, ProudCloud; CTO, Medifi; Founder/CEO, LaunchGarage
- Philip Towle – Associate Director, Access to Medicine, Takeda Pharmaceuticals International
- Dr. Gia Sison – Chief Medical Officer, Global Telehealth Incorporated
Incubators Takeda PH may tap to work with the winner:
- Launch Garage
- UP Enterprise
- Galen Groth
- Nest HK
About Takeda Healthcare Philippines
Takeda Healtcare Philippines is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda Pharmaceuticals International GMBH (a Swiss Company), which, in turn, is a subsidiary of Takeda Pharmaceuticals Company, Ltd. of Japan.
Takeda Healthcare Philippines imports pharmaceutical products in finished and semi-finished form. Its main source of revenue comes from the sale of pharmaceutical products through promotions by Medical Representatives to doctors and other healthcare professionals. The company is present in several therapeutical areas such as gastroenterology, respiratory and inflammatory diseases, cardiology, oncology, women’s health, tissue management, and pain.
Takeda is a research-based global company with its main focus on pharmeceuticals. As the largest pharmaceutical company in Japan and as one of the global leaders in the industry, Takeda is committed to strive toward better health for patients worldwide through leading innovation in medicine, in accordance with its principles of corporate philosophy of “Takeda-ism” (Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance). Takeda’s ethical drugs are marketed around in around 100 countries worldwide.