Fujifilm releases the FUJIFILM XApp for the GFX / X Series of digital cameras
Seamless connectivity between a camera and the app, and comes with a new function that keeps track of your photographic activity in a photo diary style to boost the appeal of taking photos with the GFX / X Series
TOKYO, May 24, 2023 — FUJIFILM Corporation (President and CEO, Representative Director: Teiichi Goto) is pleased to announce the launch of “FUJIFILM XApp” (XApp)*1, a new app for use with the GFX / X Series of digital cameras. The app will be released as a free download on May 25, 2023.
The XApp is a new app for use with the GFX / X Series*2. The functions of conventional FUJIFILM Camera Remote app (Camera Remote), which connects a Wi-Fi capable digital camera with a smartphone (tablet) for remote shooting, image transfer and viewing will be further enhanced with the new app. Wireless communications stability and speed have been improved to enhance usability. During a photo shoot, users can use the XApp to check the live view on a smartphone / tablet and operate the camera remotely. Once photos are taken, the app can be used to view not only transferred images but also shooting information such as the camera and lens used and the location of the photo shoot, further broadening the appeals of the photographic experience provided by the GFX and X Series.
Fujifilm has worked on broadening the appeals of photography and boosting shooting convenience by offering the GFX and X Series of digital cameras, FUJINON interchangeable lenses and the Camera Remote app. In the latest move, the company has developed the new XApp, featuring enhanced functions and performance, to add even greater convenience to photographic experiences.
Compared to the previous Camera Remote, the XApp provides more stable and faster wireless communications and transfers pictures from a camera to a smartphone / tablet more smoothly. All communications operations can be completed solely on a smartphone / tablet with the exception of the initial Bluetooth pairing between a camera and the app. This facilitates simplified operations for enhanced shooting experience.
The XApp allows users to remotely operate a GFX / X Series camera from a connected smartphone / tablet while checking images in the Live View mode. It is particularly useful in situations that require remote operations, such as a group shot and fixed-point shooting. Using the new “Backup/Restore” function, users can save camera settings*3 such as Shooting Menu and Setup Menu in the app and apply the setting back to the camera. Favorite camera settings for different subject types or shooting situations can be managed in the app, making it quick and easy to change settings even during shooting. Camera settings can also be reflected to multiple cameras of the same model via the app, thus streamlining multi-camera shooting.
The XApp’s new functions include “Timeline*4,” which gathers and displays your shooting information such as the camera and lens used, number of images taken, shooting location and more alongside with the transferred images in the photo diary style, and “Activity*4,” which automatically aggregates and displays shooting information on the cumulative basis. These functions allow users to reflect on their photographic activities while viewing photos, thereby advocating a new way of enjoying photos in the app.
In addition, the app receives notifications on new firmware updates for the paired camera model. By following the instructions on the notification, users can easily keep the camera’s firmware up-to-date for access to the latest functionality.
Fujifilm will continue to develop and provide new products and services to further broaden the joy of photography with the GFX / X Series.
*1: Compatible with smartphones and tablet devices
*2: Not compatible with some models
*3: All camera settings except for Network settings and custom white balance settings
*4: The Timeline and the Activity functions are not available in some countries and regions. To view the shooting information with these functions, users need to sign-in to Fujifilm network service with social media authentication (Facebook, Apple, Google).
FUJIFILM XApp for the GFX / X Series of digital cameras
2. Compatible models and launch date:
|Compatible models||Launch date|
|FUJIFILM GFX100S*5, FUJIFILM GFX50S II*5, FUJIFILM X-H2S*5, FUJIFILM X-H2*5, FUJIFILM X-Pro3*5, FUJIFILM X-T5*5, FUJIFILM X-T4*5, FUJIFILM X-T3*5, FUJIFILM X-T30 II*5, FUJIFILM X-T30*5, FUJIFILM X-S20, FUJIFILM X-S10*5, FUJIFILM X-E4*5, FUJIFILM X100V*5||Wednesday, May 24, 2023|
*5: These models must be updated with the latest firmware, released on Wednesday, May 24, 2023, to be compatible.
3. Supported OS:
- iOS/iPadOS 13, 14, 15, 16
- Android OS 11, 12, 13
4. Main features:
(1) Boosting wireless communications stability and speed, and simplifying operations for enhanced usability
- The app has been created with close attention to system design for wireless connectivity with cameras, smartphones and tablet devices; connection procedures and the handling of surrounding radio wave conditions, so as to achieve improved stability and speed in wireless communications. This means images stored in a camera can be transferred to a smartphone or table device more smoothly.
- All communications operations can be completed on a smartphone / tablet with the exception of the initial Bluetooth pairing between a camera and the app. There is no need to switch between a camera and a smartphone for added convenience.
- The Image Transfer Order function makes it possible to transfer images in a camera to a smartphone or tablet device not only during the camera’s playback mode and when the camera is powered off, but also while taking pictures. This facilitates seamless posting and sharing of images on social media and messaging apps.
- The app has been updated with a high-contrast design in black and white as base tones. Text size has been increased to create a user interface with improved visibility.
(2) Wireless connectivity for ease of photo shooting
- The XApp allows users to remotely operate the GFX / X Series cameras while checking live view on a smartphone or tablet device. It is particularly useful in situations that require remote operations, such as a group shot. Some shooting settings such as aperture, ISO and shutter speed can also be configured from the smartphone or tablet device.
- Using the new “Backup/Restore” function, users can save camera settings such as Shooting Menu and Setup Menu in the app or restore them back to the camera. Favorite camera settings for different subject type or shooting situations can be managed in the app, making it quick and easy to change settings even during shooting. Even if camera settings are accidentally changed during camera operation, settings saved in the camera can be read for instant recovery. Camera settings can also be reflected to multiple cameras of the same model via the app, thus streamlining multi-camera shooting.
- Smartphone’s date, time and geolocation information are automatically synched with the camera, keeping accurate time for the in-camera clock and, if permission is given, recording accurate geolocation data about a shooting location as part of photo data. The recorded geolocation data is automatically displayed on the Timeline map so that users can reflect on the day’s shooting sites.
(3) “Timeline” and “Activity” function facilitating reflection on shooting activities and improvement in shooting techniques
- The Timeline function allows users to selectively permit the transfer of Activity records*6 to a smartphone or tablet device and chronologically view information on day-to-day shooting activities, including images, number of images taken, shooting location information and the camera / lens used, thus auto-generating a photo diary. The diary can be edited, e.g. having the title changed or notes added, to suit customers’ usage.
- The app also features the new “Activity” function, which automatically aggregates and displays shooting information, such as the number of images shot, and camera / lens / Film Simulation mode used, on the cumulative basis to add extra post-shoot enjoyment.
- The Timeline and the Activity function facilitate reflection on shooting activities and improvement in shooting techniques.
*6: Activity record refers to a record of shooting activities that involve the use of a camera. Only the information that users selectively permit on the app is aggregated.
(4) Firmware Update Notification function for keeping the camera always up to date
- The app issues a notification when a new firmware is released for the user’s camera. Follow instructions in the notification to easily keep the camera’s firmware up to date and enjoy the latest functions straight away.
Liked this post? Follow SwirlingOverCoffee on Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram.