Vivo nails both the key feature and the pricing in their just-launched Vivo V5 Plus, the first dual front camera phone that offers a bokeh effect (beautiful blurred background) for selfies. Previously, only dual rear cameras could do that. At P19,990, the Vivo V5 Plus has two front cameras (20MP Sony IMX376 + 8MP for depth) with soft LED light, a gorgeous 5.5-inch full HD display (with Gorilla Glass 5 protection), a capable 16MP rear camera, 4GB RAM, 64GB storage, a fast charging 3,160 mAh battery, Hi Fi audio chipset (for music lovers), and a fast fingerprint sensor on the physical home button. We did a quick hands on at the launch last January 21 at the SM Mall of Asia Atrium. You want to see our sample selfies below.
Those who pre-order the Vivo V5 Plus get freebies: Health Sports Bracelet, Headphones, and Little V Speaker.
Vivo V5 Plus Full Specs
|Display||5.5 Inch FHD IPS In Cell 1920 x 1080 resolution w/ 2.5D curved glass and Gorilla Glass 5 protection at 401 ppi|
|CPU||2.0 GHz 64 Bit Snapdragon 625 octa core processor|
|Rear Camera||16 MP f/2.0 w/ AF and LED flash|
|Selfie Cameras||20 MP f/2.0 Sony IMX376 + 8 MP w/ softlight flash|
|Battery||3,160 mAh w/ fast charging|
|OS||Android 6.0 Marshmallow OS w/ FunTouch OS 3.0|
|Connectivity||WiFi 802.11 ac, 3G, LTE, Bluetooth 4.0, GPS, A GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou, dual nano SIM|
|Sensors||Accelerometer, light, proximity, e-compass, gyrocope|
|Others||Fingerprint scanner, AK4376 HiFi DAC|
|Dimensions||153.8 x 75.5 x 7.6 mm|
Sample Selfie Shots
A quick tour around the Vivo V5 Plus
Here are our first thoughts
- Vivo has simplified their camera app UI, which is a big help since no one wants confusing menus.
- The bokeh in selfies is, like we said in the title, is addictive and distinctive. Right now, no other smartphone offers such a feature. Now, while you can use an image editing app to add bokeh to a selfie taken with a non-V5 Plus phone, nothing beats the ease with which you can achieve such with just a tap on the V5 Plus.
- Though we haven’t tried the sound quality (speaker and through earphones) that the AK4376 hi Fi audio system offers, we’re glad it’s thrown in. Not a lot of phones have something for both selfie lovers and music lovers.
- The free gel case that comes in the box adds both style and grip, which is great since you don’t want to drop the phone while taking a selfie.
- While the pre-order freebies are nice (Health Sports Bracelet, Headphones, and Little V Speaker), we wish a selfie stick was thrown in as well.
- While the non-expandable 64GB storage seems hefty, over time, it will get filled up – what with all those pictures and videos you’ll take with the V5 Plus. We wish the dual nano SIM tray was at least a hybrids one – offering either two nano SIMs or one SIM and one microSD slot.
- The P20k price tag of the V5 Plus puts it squarely against other P20k-ish phones: the P24k Huawei P9, P20k ASUS ZenFone 3 5.5, P20k OPP F1 Plus, and P24k Samsung Galaxy A7 (2017). The V5 Plus’s edge, however, is the dual camera bokeh plus front LED soft-flash combo.
And that’s it for our launch coverage and quick hands on of the Vivo V5 Plus. We’ll get back to you with a full review when we secure a review unit.