The Huawei GR5 maybe midrange in specs, but its elegant metallic build, stylish looks, solid, non-flexing feel, and 5.5-inch full HD display all speak premium. The GR5 is Huawei’s most affordable smartphone with a fingerprint scanner, to date. You can get this lovely phone from Globe – it’s FREE @ myLifestyle Plan 999.
- Fingerprint sensor is placed, as with the Huawei Mate 7, 8, P9, and G8, on the rear, where your index finger will naturally find itself. That means you can both pull the phone out from your pants pocket and wake it up, all with one hand, and comfortably. I like that better compared to phones with fingerprint sensors on the phone’s bottom chin. (If you’re in a hurry, we have an unboxing video below.)
- The non-removable rear cover and metallic body make for just enough heft, and, since there’s no flexing, the entire phone feels great in your hand: a budget phone that’s almost painful to call “budget”.
- The phone’s rear is just as nice-looking as when the display is on. And the display is wonderful – I can’t wait to watch Netflix on this and run Modern Combat 5: Blackout.
- The dimensions are just right – my wife has small hands and she likes how the Huawei GR5 feels when held and used.
- The free plastic transparent case is a nice touch. While the phone’s rear is not as slippery as I thought, the free case adds grip and protection – you don’t want this lovely phone scratched and dented. Also, the GR5 comes installed with a free screen protector, so that’s two items less worry to worry about. When you get the phone, you don’t have to hunt for a matching protective case and pay for a screen protector to be installed.
- If you’re a Globe subscriber, it’s definitely worth checking this out, as it’s FREE @ myLifestyle Plan 999.
Let’s see what’s inside the box
This is one gorgeous phone. The metallic build is something Huawei has mastered. Their flagship, the P9, apes neither Apple or Samsung designs. Instead, the P9’s look and feel, as with the budget-friendly GR5, “belong” to Huawei’s design book.
We’ll get back to you with the full review. Meanwhile, below are more pics, as well as the full specs of, the Huawei GR5.
Huawei G8 Full Specs:
- 5.5-inch FHD IPS 1920 x 1080 resolution at 401 ppi
- 1.7 GHz 64 Bit Snapdragon 616 octa-core processor
- Adreno 405, 2GB RAM, 16GB storage up to 128GB via microSD
- Rear Camera: 13 MP f/2.0 with LED flash
- Selfie Camera: 5 MP f/2.0
- Battery: 3,000 mAh
- Android 5.1 w/ EMUI 3.1 (Upgradable to Android 6.0 Marshmallow w/ EMUI 4.0)
- WiFi, 3G, LTE, Bluetooth 4.1, A2DP, FM Radio, GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS
- Dual SIM (micro and nano)
- Accelerometer, proximity, compass
- DTS Audio, fingerprint sensor
- 151.3 x 76.3 x 8.2 mm
- FREE @ myLifestyle Plan 999
Liked this post? Follow SwirlingOverCoffee on Facebook.