Philips and Nancy Reyes-Lumen present easy-and-tasty recipes for scariest day of the year
Trick or treat? With the help of Philips and seasoned foodie Nancy Reyes-Lumen, you can learn new tricks to prepare delectable treats this Halloween. The two have prepared a list of mouth-watering recipes to make this year’s celebration more festive.
“Halloween has become a favorite occasion among Filipinos,” describes RJ Buenaventura, General Manager for Philips Consumer Lifestyle. “Halloween parties and trick-or-treats never fail put anyone in a mood.”
Business Development Manager for Philips Domestic Appliances Pia Umayam has an advice for anyone who wants to make this season extra special. “You can add a creative twist to your Halloween party with home-made goodies that your friends and loved ones will surely appreciate.”
Tasty Rice in a Pumpkin
- 150gm piece of chorizo, chopped (add more if preferred)
- 100gms onion, chopped
- 50gms garlic, minced
- 2 chicken cubes
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 2 medium red bell peppers, diced
- 1 ½ cups of rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- Freshly cracked peppercorn
- Pumpkin pulp
Nancy’s Tip: “The secret to this recipe lies in the preparation of the pumpkin. I recommend the Philips Rice cooker because of its big pot and 3D heating feature that evenly distributes heat for better cooking.”
Steaming the Pumpkin:
- Choose a pumpkin that will fit into the pot of your Philips Rice Cooker. Depending on your preference, you can put it whole or as a big wedge.
- Cover ¼ of the pumpkin with water and steam-cook till tender. Depending on the size of the pumpkin, it should be tender after about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the seeds and the pulp once pumpkin is tender. This will make the pumpkin firmer even when fully steamed.
- Scrape off some of the pulp and chop to add to the stuffing later.
- Put all the ingredients together in the rice cooker.
- Cook in one cycle till rice is done.
- Check taste and adjust seasonings.
- Keep warm till ready to serve.
Zombie Gingerbread Cookies
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 teaspoon baking salt
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- Blend the first 4 ingredients together.
- Cream butter till light yellow.
- Add sugar gradually in ¼ cup portions.
- Beat after every addition till light and fluffy.
- Beat the egg.
- Then blend in 1/3 of the flour mixture.
- When smooth, blend in the rest of the flour mixture to create the cookie dough.
- Flatten and wrap in clear plastic then chill in the ref.
- When it is firm enough, flatten and cut into gingerbread shapes.
- Bake in Philips Airfryer at 180 Cfor about 10-12 minutes
- “The Philips hand blender is great for blending ingredients. Its whisk accessory is very efficient in making the dough fluffy because of its ProMix technology that offer the best speed settings as well as consistent and faster blending.
- “Your cookies are ready once they are dry to the touch and the edges have changed color. After leaving them on the rack to cool, use a toothpick to carve your gingerbreads’ faces.”
You can also opt to give your guests a refreshing drink by offering a thirst-quenching and healthy glass of pumpkin juice. The Philips Blender is an easy and efficient kitchen partner to use for this because of its ProBlend 5 technology that provides smooth and finely blended results.
Umayam says, “Halloween is a great and unique chance to bond with the kids and the kids at heart. Make your celebration more memorable by enjoying it the spooky, fun way.”
For more information about Philips, log on to www.philips.com.ph. You can also call our customer hotline at (632) 6679000 if you are within Metro Manila or 1-800-10-7445477 if you are outside Metro Manila.
About Royal Philips
Royal Philips (NYSE: PHG, AEX: PHIA) is a diversified health and well-being company, focused on improving people’s lives through meaningful innovation in the areas of Healthcare, Consumer Lifestyle and Lighting. Headquartered in the Netherlands, Philips posted 2013 sales of EUR 23.3 billion and employs approximately 113,000 employees with sales and services in more than 100 countries. The company is a leader in cardiac care, acute care and home healthcare, energy efficient lighting solutions and new lighting applications, as well as male shaving and grooming and oral healthcare. News from Philips is located at www.philips.com/newscenter.